Saturday, October 10, 2015

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies


So the trailer for "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" came out.


Wired seems to think we Jane Austen fans are swooning at the offense to our delicate sensibilities. Sorry, I'm not. I've read the book and thought it was a well-done parody, and the movie trailer looks like it's going to be the same -- right down to a lake scene. But perhaps Wired does not understand that we all dearly love a laugh.

Frankly, I don't find it too much of a leap to imagine Elizabeth Bennet as a bad-ass zombie killer, if she happened to live in a time when zombies existed and an apocalypse threatened. The biggest quibble I have at this point is those looked like Victorian corsets rather than Regency stays. It's not period-appropriate, and perhaps just as importantly, it would be much easier to move about and kill zombies in the less restrictive stays. Short stays and a good muslin shift, I think, would be the underthings of choice for zombie-slaying.

I'd probably watch it just to see 11th Doctor Matt Smith as Mr. Collins, but it looks like there's going to be a lot to look forward to in the movie. What about the rest of you -- will you watch P&P&Z?

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Temptations

 Hello, dear readers! So I think I have shared bits of what I am up to next, but thought it was time for a more substantial update. That is,...