Monday, May 25, 2020

Big (Literally) Writing Update

Hello, dear readers! So I have a big (like I said in the headline, literally) writing update to share with you, and that is I have finished the first draft of A Generation's Secrets. By finished I mean I've made it to the end. There is still a lot of work to do before I even reach the point where it's ready for online beta, as this time while writing I allowed myself to include more blanks and gaps if, for example, I couldn't recall someone's name or how old they were. And there are some general additions and edits I need to make.

It's been interesting because I know other writers who have struggled with creativity during this time. I can definitely understand how the stress of pandemic and quarantine would do that to someone. But for me writing has been my escape. Sometimes on weekends it is the ONLY productive thing I've managed to do, but fortunately at least I've been very productive with it. That's where big comes in: AGS clocks in at 293,655 words, which makes it significantly longer than A Season Lost, which was still longer than either of its predecessors. I don't actually think the series is going to just keep getting longer in each subsequent volume, it just happened that many plotlines that had been developing over the course of other books finally flowered in this one. I always knew it was going to be long, I just wasn't thinking THIS long. And it may be shorter by the time it reaches publication as I look for things that can be trimmed (I will definitely be looking for feedback on that when we get to online beta time).

I think it's pretty likely I will get the (dubious?) distinction of the longest JAFF ever published, hahaha. I am super excited to get it to this milestone, though, and because I've been so much more productive on lockdown I'm of hopes that it might even be ready for publication by the end of the year (yes, I know it is May, but I also know the degree of work and editing it's going to take to prep this monster).

I'll leave you with one of the contenders for the cover and the hopes that I'll be back with news about starting up online beta soon. A portion of this book is set in the Lake District, and this is a photo I took while there last year.


8 comments:

  1. That’s such great news! I’m a huge fan of the ACL series and knowing that there’s another one coming might be enough to save 2020 after all! Keep up the awesome work, I’m so glad that you’re so committed to this beautiful universe you’ve developed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, I don't know if I want to take on responsibility for saving 2020, but I can at least promise you a lengthy escape into 1819-20! ;-)

      Delete
  2. I love a good long saga! Can't wait! If you need a Beta, you know where to reach me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to have you beta if you're interested, Carole! :-)

      Delete
  3. So incredibly happy. Your spinoff is one of the best I've read. If you need a beta (I'm will to pay to read it!h

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love betas and you don't need to pay! :-) Watch this space and my social channels and I'll let everyone know when it's posted online. I also usually recruit for a read of the nearer-to-final Kindle version as it gets closer to publication.

      Delete
  4. Sophie,

    This is really exciting news to read. I'm so glad that you've been well, productive,and that we'll be seeing A Generation's Secrets in online beta soon. I've been really looking forward to this. I've said before that your books are my all time favorite sequels, and that hasn't changed.

    Helena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, so good to hear from you, Helena! :-) Very much looking forward to sharing another story with you and I hope this one continues with what you liked from books 1-3 (and then some)

      Delete

Newsletter

 Well, dear readers, I am FINALLY starting a newsletter. This is long overdue for me as a series writer so I am excited (after an exceedingl...