Friday, August 28, 2020

Wray Castle (Lake District Part 4)

By this point in my Lake District trip, I was in pretty good shape. So good that what I'm about to show you I actually walked to after Latterbarrow, which I shared in part 3. But I thought it would be better to focus on the house for this one post, so one day's worth of walking is actually going to be three posts! This month I'll share Wray Castle, and then next month the walk back to Hawkshead (aka more lovely Lake District scenery!).

Wray Castle is a Victorian neo-gothic "castle" (which is to say house built with crenellation and other features to make it look like a castle but not really a castle), so it's from an era I don't usually share houses from. I think it's useful to see where styles were going to evolve to after the Regency, though!

The house was built by a retired surgeon, who must have married well for it was funded with his wife's fortune! Beatrix Potter spent a summer here when she was 16, so it's a key part of her story within the Lake District, too. But without further ado, let's look at some photos...

The gatehouse provides a good sneak preview of the castle

The walk along to the castle features more lovely landscape.

As you can see, though, the weather was turning rainier!
The exterior is this sort of Victorian castle fantasy.
And the interior keeps the fantasy going!

There are loads of gothic details like this window.
This ceiling is just a little bit bold!
It's not all over the top, though. I love the painting on this fireplace.
The main hall from another angle.
When I was a kid, I really wanted to live in a turret. And I don't think I'd turn it down now if the opportunity appeared!
More gothic detailing.
Upstairs in the main hall.
The impressive ceiling in the main hall.

A less over-the-top ceiling compared to the others, but still interesting!

And here are some 360s:

Some 360s of Wray Castle in the Lake District for an upcoming blog post.

Posted by Sophie Turner on Monday, August 24, 2020

That's it for this month. I'll see you all next month for another installment!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newsletter

 Well, dear readers, I am FINALLY starting a newsletter. This is long overdue for me as a series writer so I am excited (after an exceedingl...