Sunday, April 5, 2015

A few antiques

I recently got on a bit of an eBay kick and scored good prices on a few things that will be helpful in the future for my writing. Hopefully this is not going to turn into a full-blown antique book-collecting hobby, as it will be quite an expensive one!

One is an 1820 edition of the Book of Common Prayer -- it's only just a bit later than when my stories are set, and so likely very much what my characters would have heard (and used, in the case of the clergymen). I thought I'd share the marriage portion, since that's likely to be one of great interest to those reading this blog. The ceremony itself has not changed very much, but much greater import is given to the banns in the 1820 version.


Two other items I've picked up are two old maps of Derbyshire, one before and one after the advent of the railways. Yes, a transportation revolution is on the horizon, and it's eventually going to impact our beloved characters, at least in my stories...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Newsletter

 Well, dear readers, I am FINALLY starting a newsletter. This is long overdue for me as a series writer so I am excited (after an exceedingl...